100 Years at Tweed Heads
Tweed Heads Bowls Club celebrated their 100 year anniversary on May, 12. Over two days, two functions were held and more than 400 members, staff and guests packed the iconic indoor green for a gala ball and luncheon.
Founded in 1921 by a group of dedicated people, the Tweed Heads Bowls Club’s story begins with a modest clubhouse on the banks of the Tweed River directly under Point Danger. This was the start of the Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowling Club at Coral Street. Not long after the first bowl was rolled on February 15, 1922, the first official game against Murwillumbah took place in April that year.
In 1931, the Ladies Club was formed after10 years, women were allowed to play bowls at Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowling Club.
In 1946, construction of two new greens began on the leased land at Coral Street, and two years later club members agreed that the separation of the club was a logical decision. The Coral Street club began to function as the Tweed Heads Bowls Club and the Coolangatta Bowls Club moved to Scott Street.
In 1975, with the rapid growth in both ladies and men’s membership, the Tweed Heads Bowls Club committee made the move from Coral Street to a new clubhouse in Florence Street.
The indoor green was officially opened by President Sid Flodine and past Presidents Ron de Hayr and Harry Rouse in 1980 and the first Men’s Australian Indoor Singles Championship was held there in 1988.
The club held the inaugural Golden Nugget in 1986 followed by the inaugural Bicentennial International Tournament in 1988. A new green was built to accommodate the large numbers of bowlers at the Bicentennial, called the Bicentennial Green known as green four today.
Between 1988 and1991, the outside of the clubhouse had a major facelift, creating the local icon that it is today.
The introduction of gaming in Queensland in 1992 had a negative effect on club revenue. Prior to this, up to six bus loads of visitors would visit the NSW club daily to enjoy the facilities, but with gaming becoming available in Queensland, income suffered.
The club continued to make improvements, while bowls continued to boom. In1995 the Tweed Heads Division 1 Men’s Pennant side won the State Queensland Title.
The year 2004 was memorable as the then Prime Minister of Australia, Mr John Howard MP, paid a visit to Tweed Heads Bowls Club and the Junior Golden Nugget was launched. This is now one of the most prestigious junior events in the world.
More renovations to the club continued over the next decade to keep the club current and provide a comfortable ‘home away from home’ for its bowlers.
In 2014, the club opened on Christmas day for the first time and barefoot bowls was also introduced that year, which increased bookings for corporate and private functions.
The men’s and ladies bowls committees joined in 2018 to become one committee. Before this, there was a Men’s and Ladies Club that played at Tweed Heads Bowls Club.
In 2019, the Tweed Heads Ospreys made their debut in the Bowls Premier League (BPL) and won the event, and that year won the Division 1 State Pennant title for the first time since 1995. In 2020, the Ospreys finished last at the BPL but bounced back in 2021 to win the title once again.
CEO Gerard Robinson said the club could not have reached this milestone without its founding members, bowlers, social members, directors, staff and community.
“As we start a new chapter, let’s dream big, innovate and create a bright future together,” he said.
“Thank you to everyone for their support.”