Covid-19 Update for South East Queensland
As you would have seen yesterday, 11 local government areas (LGAs) in Queensland will enter a 3 day lockdown commencing 4pm today, Saturday 31 July 2021.
The LGAs impacted by the lockdown include:
- Brisbane City Council
- Logan City Council
- Moreton Bay Regional Council
- Ipswich City Council
- Redland City Council
- Sunshine Coast Regional Council
- Gold Coast City Council
- Noosa Shire Council
- Somerset Regional Council
- Lockyer Valley Regional Council
- Scenic Rim Regional Council.
Anyone who was in South-East Queensland at or after 1am Saturday 31 July 2021 is required to follow the same lockdown rules even if they are no longer in South-East Queensland.
In summary from 4pm Saturday 31 July until 4pm Tuesday 3 August 2021, people in the impacted local government areas can only leave your residence (which includes temporary accommodation such as a holiday rental) for limited permitted purposes such as:
- obtaining essential goods or services within 10km, including healthcare
- exercise in your local area
- attending essential work or school, and childcare for the children of essential workers or vulnerable children
- assisting vulnerable persons
- obtaining a COVID-19 test or vaccination.
In a practical sense for sport, recreation and fitness organisations, this means that during the lockdown period:
- Organised community sport, recreation and fitness is not permitted.
- Non-essential businesses are not allowed to operate – this includes gyms.
- You can exercise away from your home, within 10km, with your household group and/or one other person not from your household.
You must wear a face mask at all times when you leave home, including outdoors and for exercise, unless you have a lawful reason not to.
You must wear a mask in indoor spaces, such as:
- shopping centres and supermarkets
- hospitals and aged care facilities, if permitted to visit
- indoor workplaces (where safe to wear a mask and you can’t physically distance)
- public transport, taxis and rideshare, and waiting places or queues for this transport, and
- airports and travelling on planes.
Full details are available at COVID-19 update | Health and wellbeing | Queensland Government (www.qld.gov.au)
For the next 3 days, Queensland Health advises those within the impacted areas not to leave home unless absolutely critical.
I understand the challenges for businesses and volunteer organisations to cease operations at short notice, however it is important to act quickly to provide community safety and allow us to resume activity as soon as possible.
As this situation is evolving, I will provide a further update and direction as more detail becomes available.
Sport and Recreation
Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport