August CEO Report
with Brett Wilkie
Queensland State Government
Bowls Queensland would like to thank the Queensland State Government for its continued support of Bowls in Queensland. I attended a QSport Conference in July which included the following guest speakers:
- Hon Anika Wells– Federal Minister for Sport,
- Hon Stirling Hinchliffe – QLD Minister for Sport and
- John Lee – Director General of Dept Sport and Rec QLD.
Come and Try Month – October
All clubs are encouraged to support Bowls Queensland’s Come and Try Month of October by holding some
form of event at your club as part of a State-wide push to entice new people to try our sport. This could be
an Open Day, Barefoot Bowls Session, Bring a Friend Day, Bring a Relative, Family Fun Day, Community Day, fancy dress theme or whatever you may like to call it that would be popular in your area. Your local RBM will be happy to assist if needed. More information has been distributed to clubs.
Bowls Queensland Committees 1.7.22 – 30.6.23
Congratulations and thank you to the newly appointed Bowls Queensland Committees for volunteering their time to bowls in Queensland for the next 12 months.
• Umpire Committee: John Kirkpatrick (Coordinator), Joan Brotherton, Jessie Cannon, Barry Ashby, Chris Berry, Trevor Govey. Additional Support Umpire Northern Region: Patricia Ward.
• Coaching Committee: Alan Thorp (Coordinator), Dennis O’Toole, Eric Tomsene, Felix Purcell, Mal Mackney, Jacqui Hineman. Sub Committee: David Hatfield, Peter Bryan, Martin Abbey.
• Match Committee: Ron Somerville (Coordinator), Jim See, John De Erneste, Linda Morish, Denis Kirkman, Linda Mitchell.
• Selection Committee: Christina Pavlov (Coordinator), Ron Mitchell, Brad Harris, Gary Costigan, Wendy Wilson.
QLD Multi Disability Championships
This will be held at Chermside and Northern Suburbs from August 15-18 and include the four disability groups: Physically Impaired, Hearing Impaired, Vision Impaired and Intellectually Impaired. As we have more entries this year, Northern Suburbs have agreed to host the overflow on the last two days of the event. Thank you to the Brisbane City Council, Chermside and Northern Suburbs Bowls Clubs for their support of this event, which will be live streamed on the Bowls QLD Facebook page and website.
Australian Indoor Singles
Congratulations to the Queenslanders who qualified for this event which will be played at Club Tweed from August 15-19. Other major events at Club Tweed in August include the prestigious Golden Nugget Singles and Junior Nugget.
QLD vs NSW U18 Test Series
Good luck to our U18 QLD Girls and Boys teams who will play against NSW on Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 August at Chermside Bowls Club. This event will be live streamed on Bowls QLD Facebook page and website.
QLD vs NSW Test Series
Good luck to our Open, U25 and new 40-59 Men’s and Women’s Queensland Teams who will play against NSW at Taren Point (Sydney) on Monday 22 & Tuesday 23 August. This three-test series will be live streamed by Bowls NSW.
Secondary Schools Cup
Thank you to the many clubs who ran school bowls sessions to get an entrant into our State Finals to be held at Club Pine Rivers on August 24-25. Teams from the following regions will contest the State Finals: Mt Larcom, Toowoomba, Rockhampton, Weipa, Atherton, Glasshouse Mountain, Mackay, Airlie Beach/Proserpine, Caboolture, Scarborough, Cunnamulla, Gold Coast, Townsville and Gympie. Thank you to our RBMs for assisting with this event.
Bowls QLD Events
Thank you to the clubs below who have been awarded the rights to host the respective Bowls QLD events in 2022. Thank you to those clubs who showed expressions of interest but were unsuccessful this time around.
• 22-27 October: State Champions of Club Champion Finals – Souths Suburban BC.
• 3-4 November: State 8-a-Side Finals – Club Tweed.
• 5-6 November: State Pennant Finals – Club Tweed.
• 19-20 November: State District Mixed Pairs Finals – Bargara BC.