Tenterfield Celebrates 90 years
From humble beginnings from the vision of a local man, Mr W H McCotter, Tenterfield Bowls Club now commands a central place in the history of bowls and recently celebrated its 90th anniversary.
Mr McCotter built a bowling green in front of his home in Molesworth Street and, on Australia day in 1930, Colonel Bruxner opened the green. Two years later, a five-year lease agreement was made with Mr McCotter, which included the clubhouse at extra cost with an option to buy and the first AGM was held. Newly- appointed green keeper, Robert Gardner, bought a motor mower, set green fees at 6d, determined the club colours and proposed a meeting with other clubs to form Northern Tablelands Bowling Federation.
By 1942, more land had been bought and a clubhouse built and the original house became the green keeper’s cottage. In 1944, the members held a special meeting to consider “the vexatious matter of the Ladies Bowling Club” and finally, in 1957, ladies bowls was launched. Motel Stage 1 happened in 2000 and expanded in 2005 by six units.
Marking the occasion of Tenterfield’s 90th anniversary, the No 1 Green was renamed the W H McCotter Green in the founder’s honour. Ian McCotter (grandson), Jim Bennett (Club President) and committee member Gary Chorley were on hand for the unveiling of the plaque to rename the green. Jim Bennett spoke briefly on the history of the bowling club and the importance of the W H McCotter building, the original green and clubhouse. Ian McCotter was introduced and thanked the club for the honour bestowed on his grandfather. Jim Bennett and Ian McCotter raised the Tenterfield Bowls Club flag and declared the green the W H McCotter Green.
Contributed by Barbara Carter