Coaching Presenters and Assessors meet to share information
Our coaching Presenters and Assessors (P&As) have been busy this year conducting accreditation courses, re-accrediting coaches and running skills days throughout Queensland.
Therefore, they appreciated the chance to catch up for a two-day workshop at Chermside Bowls Club. As our P&As are scattered across the State and usually catch up monthly via conference calls, it was a great opportunity for everyone to meet face-to-face. Everyone felt like they were a part of the team whose job it was to inform and educate new coaches in an engaging and inclusive manner. This is something in which the P&As pride themselves.
The role of our coaching P&As is to deliver the National Coach Accreditation courses for introductory and club coaches, as well as present selection and competition modules.
In Queensland, the P&A has the extra role of delivering skills days to help bowlers improve their on-green performance.
It is in this role that Queensland coaching presenter and assessors spend most of their time. All our accredited P&As have the knowledge and experience to deliver these sessions to all bowlers, including bowlers who use a bowling arm.
Some of the information shared at the Coaches P&A workshop included:
- Sports methodology
- Constants and variables and the role they play in player performance
- Using methodology to assist in developing technique Working with players to set and achieve goals
- Training for different positions (front-end, back-end skills)
- Collecting, analysing, and recording data
- Mental strength strategies
- Pre-shot routines
Queensland currently has nine accredited P&As spread throughout the state, with another two-awaiting accreditation. Below is a list of BA accredited Coach Presenter and Assessors.
- Alan Thorp, Solander Lakes Bowls Club
- Dennis O’Toole, Chermside Bowls Club
- Jacqui Hineman, Burrum Heads Bowls Club
- Eric Tomsene, Coolum Bowls Club
- Mal Mackney, Atherton Bowls Club
- Felix Purcell, Mackay Bowls Club
- David Hatfield, Rockhampton Bowls Club
- John Krebs, Chermside Bowls Club
- Graham Woolley, Beenleigh Bowls Club
- Peter Bryan (awaiting accreditation), Club Musgrave
Please contact Cath at Bowls Queensland at (07) 3354 0777 if your district would like to book a any of the following courses: Introductory Coach Course, Club Coach Course, Re-accreditations or Skills Day (including armed bowlers).
By Jacqui Hineman
Mental tip: Stay with your shot timeline; remember to switch off between games/bowls; remain positive and focused on the process of delivering a bowl shot-by-shot, game-by- game and not get overwhelmed