Meandarra Bowls Club turns 60
Sixty years on Meandarra Bowls Club is still operational and has a large membership base of social bowlers and a growing contingent of competitive bowlers. The Meandarra Bowls Club turned 60 towards the end of last year and celebrated in style with a fun game of bowls and a celebration dinner.
Some history on the club…
On the 30th March, 1957, a Public Meeting, convened by Mr Reg Laxton, was held in Meandarra. Some members of the neighbouring Tara Bowls Club were invited to address the meeting and advise the necessary steps to be taken to form a Bowling Club. A lease for the site of the green was obtained from the Lands Department, finance was arranged through the National Bank and a large number of well-wishers subscribed to debentures. Construction commenced immediately. Volunteers worked with wheelbarrows, trucks and tractors all supervised by C Harvey, an experienced Bowling Green builder. After approximately 12 months the green and clubhouse were completed and the first game of bowls was played in May 1958.
Today, sixty years on and the Club is still operational and has a large membership base of social bowlers and a growing contingent of competitive bowlers. A celebration weekend was planned, invitations and flyers sent to past and present members, local community and surrounding Clubs. The support we received was heart-warming.
A fun game of bowls was organised for Saturday afternoon, this was supported by 26 bowlers from Victoria, NSW and Qld. In keeping with the theme ‘fun’, winning names were drawn out of a hat to receive the trophies.
Saturday night was a celebration dinner for a full house of 70 people. The meal was beautifully catered by the Westmar/Inglestone Branch of ICPA. A band played live music for dancing and memories were shared by all who attended.
Long-time member Mrs Lynette McDonald was awarded a Life Membership which was unanimously agreed to by the entire committee. Keeping this a secret since July was a commendable effort by everyone. Lyn has been, and continues to be, an integral part of the club since 1973. She has held all positions in the Club over the years with the exception of being the greenkeeper!
Read more on this story in the Dec/Jan Bowler.